Monday, June 28, 2010

FEARnet - Saturn Awards 2010: Sam Raimi on 'Oz', Evil Dead 4', and His Future in Horror



Joseph McCabe writes:
Last night I chatted with the always entertaining Sam Raimi at the 2010 Saturn Awards, at which the director's Drag Me to Hell won Best Horror Film. Raimi had a few words to say to me and several other journalists about his anticipated film version of L. Frank Baum's Oz books, as well as whether or not he'll return again to horror, and the chance he'll direct an Evil Dead 4.

On the premature announcement that he'll be helming the Oz film…

I'm talking with Disney and producer Joe Roth about the possibility of doing it. But that's where it's at right now. I think sometimes the news jumps the gun. They hear that somebody's in discussions and they want to report that it's happened. But it hasn't actually happened yet. I'm hoping it will… We've been talking about the possibility of it coming together and I hope it can.

On whether or not he'll return once more to horror…


If I have something that excites me, something that I can bring something to, then yes. If I don't, then no. That's how I know I want to direct a picture. If it excites me and I love it, I get to the set and I know where everything should be. I know where the camera should be. I know what's important about [a] moment, because I understand it and I'm in love with it. And if an actor misses it, I can describe it to him very specifically. But if I don't love something, if I don't understand it thoroughly, I don't really understand how to direct the scene, because I don't understand what's so great about it or what is supposed to be highlighted or diminished in some way. I can't explain to him about the hidden meaning in something if I don't really love it inside and out and understand it.

On whether or not he'll direct a fourth Evil Dead…

I'd love to make one, but I just don't know what the future holds.

Click Here For The Entire Interview - Source: www.fearnet.com

No comments: